Monday Musings on Being Happy
I love finding out more about how to enjoy myself and be content in each moment that comes along. I've found that I can be happy even when things aren't going my way and even when it seems that everything is wrong. Of course this can be a major challenge, too. really major.
I didn't realize it for a long time but my sense of well-being could be swayed easily by daily events and especially by other people's moods. Luckily I've become aware of this (and that it didn't have to be like that) and have been able to largely eradicate that habit. Of course, like anyone else, I can still get caught up in getting pissed off and impatient (hello 405) but I do strive to maintain perspective, because I'm just happier that way.
Some great resources for/on happiness:
• I love the 12 step slogan HALT. It means that if you're hungry, angry, lonely or tired, that you need to stop what you're doing and tend to that need first. I cannot tell you how often I have been all in a tizzy only to discover that, really, I'm starving. Once I eat, everything looks different and I can problem solve way faster and much more easily. And sometimes there isn't even a problem.
• The blog, the happiness-project is totally inspiring. Gretchen has done tons of research into happiness and has great tips, insights and interviews all about happiness.
• What Happy People Know is a book that I stole off my boyfriends nightstand and have read through multiple times. Part Psychology, part self help, totally readable and has great simple ideas (based on biology) for happiness.
• Blogs like Happy Mundane that celebrate the everyday and have beautiful pictures. Yes!
• Getting exercise. This one is hardest for me to make time for. But recently I started going for walks again and even made it back to yoga and it's made a difference in how I feel say to day.
• Putting time aside to have fun, explore hobbies, not have anything much to do, etc.
What do you do? When is it hardest to feel good?